Skip to main content

Part Time or Full Time


Part-time or full-time working parents

That is the question. I would like to say that I have an answer for you but I don't. With flexible schedules, and job sharing there are more options these days. But each family has their own financial circumstances, or personal or religious reasons which may or may not allow both parents to work. In my case I have to work, because I would go insane and there are several other factors that play into this.
1. If I don't work I can't spend money frugally or on a whim.

2. I've noticed that if I have a day off from work, I tend to spend more money than if I were there, so it actually costs me more money to stay home.
 
3. I like to buy things when they are on sale and if I can't make the purchase it would drive me crazy, or I would end up buying it dipping into funds I shouldn't be touching.

4. I'm not much of a budgeter, my friend the accountant tried to show me her spreadsheet of how she categorizes and manages her money to the penny...Eeek, I can't do that and I don't want to. I haven't balanced our checkbook since we had our first child 5 years into our marriage. It got to be too time consuming and I figured out that if the moneys not there the bank will pull it from savings. Lazy I know. I just don't have the time.

5. When I am off , which means I have the kids, I want to do something with the kids, yes we can go to the library, walk to the park, and play games inside, but let's be honest it gets boring. I want to go to Sky High and let the kids jump and get tuckered out while I check facebook or blog for a bit. These things all cost money and for this reason, even though many families live on a single income I could not, (unless my husband was a millionaire :).
 Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 
So this question has been haunting me for years now. When our second child was born, Carter I wanted to be home more with him then I was with our first child. We were not financially able for me to stay home with our first son and I really wanted to stay home more with our second and our first child. So we were finically in a place in our lives that afforded me the availability to work 9-4 allowing the kids to be in childcare a short while. Prior to this we were working 9am-9pm with daycare and nanny's and that was not how I wanted to move forward any longer. My thought is why have kids if you never get to spend quality time with them. So this was great for a long time, then when we moved back to Spokane and I got settled in with a new job I was working 8-5pm and kids were happy and we were happy, but there was always something there telling me to work less.


I'm sure it was my kiddos saying, "Mom, will you come to my class party today, or will you come to school and have lunch with me." I was able to make a few events but I always felt bad. So for about the past year, I just kept praying to God asking - could you please help me find a part-time job that paid more than $9/hr but allowed a flexible schedule around the kids schooling? And every time I said this prayer it sounded more unrealistic. But I always say God has a plan for us and his plan may not always happen or be what we want but he knows what he's doing.
 
I truly believe this from all of the other times in my life when I felt like life was coming to an end. So finally after a year of praying my prayers came true. I was offered a job doing exactly what I was doing, with the same pay and benefits, and part time. I thought it was too good to be true, but it's true. I started last week and it's amazing. I can't wait to jump in and grow my territory. It's truly a godsend.
 
I will be completely honest, it's not all giggles and smiles around my home where the family sits around and eats dinner at the table and says our prayers. We are usually eating on the go, or fixing two different meals, chicken nuggets and hot dogs for the boys and an adult menu for us. I have 2 boys and they are FULL of energy and they fight like crazy, so trying to keep my sanity is sometimes tough. For example yesterday we went to Les Schwab to get the car checked out and that took a few hours. I got a nice compliment from an older woman who said, your boys were so gentle and polite as they grabbed their popcorn. I said, I'm glad they were behaving, because it's not always this way. She said they are always better around others then at home, I agreed. The boys were driving me nuts as we went to Fred Meyers to burn time. They were having their sidewalk sale, tons of stuff for 40% off. They wanted Under Amour clothes and toys and movies etc, etc, then throwing little tantrums in the store. (A side note, I went to Nordstrom Rack earlier this week and got 4 under Armour kids shirts for $28, hence why I wasn't going to pay $22 for one at Fred Meyer.) I then questioned what I wished and prayed for. I think our kids are a bit spoiled from us parents who don't want to listen to them whine so we give into them. But I honestly think it will take some time for the boys to get used to having a parent around more and I think I can teach them or discipline them so they grow to be great young men.
 
So $450, and 2 hour later a front break job and broken U Joints (whatever that is) rotated tires, fixed slow tire leak which was a nail in tire, and we were home free. (Well not quite "free", I spent a little at Fred Meyers too at their sidewalk sale.) :-)

Thanks for reading my Blog. I hope you enjoyed and keep coming back for more....

Yours Truly,
Rachelle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did you know your child had diabetes? Know The Symptoms (It Could Save a Life)

How did you know your child had Type 1 diabetes? Parents of children with diabetes will hear this question asked a million times. And each time you tell your story the story gets shorter and shorter. You begin to leave out details. Details that may one day save another child's life. I wrote this for a couple of reasons. The first reason was to document the details and help other families who are searching for answers to unexplained symptoms. The second reason was to really get my emotions off my chest, and reflect. December 30, 2016 is a day I will never forget.  This date will now be forever know to us as Carter's " dia-versary."   This was the day my seven year old son Carter was diagnosed with Type one Diabetes. I still tear up when I say or even write those words... my son was diagnosed with T1D. It all kind of happened so fast really. It was Christmas break 2016 and the kids were home for a couple of weeks. Things were normal as usual, stress right before

Albertsons Monopoly Game 2015 RARE Pieces

LET'S MAKE A DEAL $100,000 Cash or 2015 Tesla* I have rare piece #122 and need to work out a deal with whoever has #117. Do you have 117C Albertsons Monopoly game piece? If so, lets make a deal. $ 100,000 Cash or 2015 Tesla that will be awarded as a check for $100,000 so if you want to split it, let's talk. Please email me stocumfamily@gmail.com to make a deal!

Basal or Bolus. What's the difference?

  Basal or Bolus. What's the difference? Where did the term basal and bolus come from? Furthermore, what the heck is the difference? Being new to diabetes you start to hear new terms that you're unfamiliar with like basal and bolus but the basal we're talking about isn't the kind you cook with (that's basil).  If you're like me, you kind of feel stupid asking the question because everybody around you seems to know the difference between basal and bolus. You may hear a nurse or doctor say things like "I think we just need to increase your basal." And I'm thinking... which one is that, because I'm looking at NovoLog and Levemir? You don't ask the question but you keep picking up on clues of what this may mean. I'm going to make it simple for you. Basal and bolus are exactly the same thing, but different. Ok, not so simple. Basal and bolus are terms used for insulin injections. The basal is the long acting insulin that